4K UHD Player
DVDFab Free Download
Get 30-Day Free Trial
Use DVDFab to copy, rip and create DVDs/Blu-rays, convert videos, and remove Cinavia and DRM
macOS 10.10 - 10.14
Ubuntu 16.04 and above
2020-07-06 02:58:02 Posted by WiKi
Summary: This post will dig into the topic of ripping Blu-rays by introducing you the Blu-ray protections, how to choose the best Blu-ray ripper and how to rip Blu-rays to MP4, MKV, AVI, MP3 and more.
The Most Complete DVD/Blu-ray/4K UHD Solutions
Streaming videos are popular these days, but Blu-rays always provide high video/audio quality and better viewing experience, so that’s one of the reasons why we still stick to Blu-rays. However, along with the change of lifestyle and the development of technology, you may think it’s really inconvenient to watch Blu-rays through a Blu-ray player. To free yourself from a cumbersome Blu-ray player, what you need is to rip and convert Blu-rays to digital formats you desire. Here we will dig into the topic of ripping Blu-rays and tell you everything you need to know about it. Now let’s first begin with why you need to rip Blu-rays.
There are many benefits that you cannot resist for ripping Blu-rays to digital formats like MP4, MKV, FLV and more.
(1) For a long-term backup: As we all know, Blu-ray discs are fragile, easy to be damaged or scratched. It seems more reliable to back up movies on Blu-ray discs into video formats and store them on hard drive than just leave them on those delicate discs.
(2) For a long-term backup: As we all know, Blu-ray discs are fragile, easy to be damaged or scratched. It seems more reliable to back up movies on Blu-ray discs into video formats and store them on hard drive than just leave them on those delicate discs.
(3) Save Blu-rays in an organized way: If you have collected tons of Blu-ray discs being scattered every corner of your room, it would be difficult sometimes to find a certain Blu-ray movie you want. To make them well-organized, you can rip them into MP4 or other videos and put them into folders according to different genres, years, and actors. After that, you can find your favorite movies with only a few mouse clicks on your computer.
(4) To watch Blu-ray movies anywhere: Blu-ray discs have to be played with a physical Blu-ray player, but when you are traveling or on a train it is not a good idea to use a Blu-ray player. It will be more convenient to rip Blu-rays to MP4, AVI, MKV, etc. that can be played anytime and anywhere with an iPad, iPhone or Android device. Also, after ripping the Blu-rays, you can stream the movies by AV streamers like Apple TV to enjoy a simultaneous play.
Commercial Blu-rays are always protected by some copy protection schemes to prevent the copyrighted contents from being duplicated and distributed. To convert or rip these Blu-rays, you need to bypass these protections. There are many protections being used on commercial Blu-ray movies like Cinavia, BD+, region code, etc. and we will go over each of these protections in turn.
But we should make it clear that we don’t encourage the behavior of ripping Blu-rays for illegal use. Before using the Blu-ray ripper/decrypter to rip encrypted commercial Blu-rays, please first refer to the copyright laws of your country.
Cinavia protection is an audio watermarking scheme developed by Verance, which is used to prevent all copying, both counterfeit copies and legal copies of one’s own content.
When Blu-ray media with the Cinavia watermark is played back on a device/system with Cinavia detection, the firmware will check whether the device is authorized for that watermark. If the device is not authorized, a message like “The content being played is protected by Cinavia™ and is not authorized for playback on this device” to show that the Blu-ray source is an authorized copy of professionally-produced content. Once the message is triggered, the audio of the Blu-ray movie will be muted.
AACS, short for Advanced Access Content System, is a copyright protection technology jointly developed by IBM, Sony, Intel, Microsoft, Panasonic, TOSHIBA, Disney and Warner, namely, the AACS Licensing Administrator.
Every Blu-ray player has a Device Key, while discs come with a Media Key Block (MKB). The shared key generated by using these two (Media Key) is used to decrypt the Title Key, which is then used to decrypt the audio/video data in the disc. AACS also has a revocation mechanism to revoke the keys of a particular player that has been compromised.
BD+ is a second level of Blu-ray copy protection that is used after the stream files being encrypted by AACS. Stream files are further mangled randomly with special BD+ instructions on how to repair the mangled contents stored on the Blu-ray disc.
BD+ is effectively a virtual machine embedded in authorized players and the executable programs allowed by BD+ on Blu-ray discs can verify whether the player has been hacked or not. If a playback device manufacturer finds its devices have been hacked through this way, it can release BD+-code to detect and circumvent the vulnerability.
For all the protections including Cinavia, BD-J, BD+, AACS, APS, UOP, RC, Region Code, etc, DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper can overcome them.
A Blu-ray drive: You can use either an external Blu-ray drive or an internal disc drive on your desktop or laptop. But please note that a DVD drive is not enough for Blu-rays and a professional Blu-ray drive is necessary.
30 GB – 60 GB hard disk space: The contents on a Blu-ray disc can arrive at 25 GB or 50GB, so they can make huge files. So we recommend you to prepare 30 GB – 60 GB hard disk space to save the ripped files.
Blu-ray ripper software to rip Blu-rays: It’s the essential part of ripping a Blu-ray. There are some Blu-ray ripper software programs available, including MakeMKV, HandBrake, DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper and more. But for which one to choose, please refer to the next part.
There are a large number of Blu-ray ripper software programs available for Windows/Mac for you to choose, but how to make a right choice? Here we will list the qualities and features a really helpful and professional Blu-ray ripper should have.
(1) Bypass copy protection: A great Blu-ray ripper should be able to copy any kind of Blu-rays, whether it is a homemade Blu-ray or a protected commercial Blu-ray that contains AACS, BD+ or Cinavia protection.
(2) Conversion speed: Blu-rays are pretty large so the conversion speed would be one of the most important factors to check whether a Blu-ray Ripper is good enough. A fast Blu-ray ripper can rip a Blu-ray to MKV, MP4, AVI or others in a few minutes.
(3) Input formats: It would be better if a Blu-ray ripper is versatile enough to support all Blu-ray formats, including Blu-ray discs, Blu-ray folder and Blu-ray ISO files.
(4) Output formats: We don’t think a Blu-ray ripper that can only output MP4 or MKV is enough for you. A powerful Blu-ray ripping software program should be capable of outputting various video/audio formats, including MP4, MKV, AVI, FLV, WMV, MP3, AAC, M4A and more. It would be a plus if a Blu-ray ripper comes with some device presets for iPhone X, iPad Air, Samsung Galaxy series, Xbox One, PS4 and more.
(5) Customization tools: Before outputting your videos, you probably want to customize your settings and edit the videos for a certain purpose. So please check if the Blu-ray contains useful customizations before you make your decision to purchase a Blu-ray ripper (if it is not a free one).
(6) Output quality: Blu-ray movies are usually in 1080p, which can bring you great viewing experience. You should make sure that the Blu-ray ripper you choose won’t downgrade the video quality.
(7) Ease of use: A great Blu-ray ripper should be modern, intuitive and easy to use. Before deciding to purchase a Blu-ray ripper, you had better try it yourself to figure out whether it is simple or not.
Of all the free Blu-ray rippers, HandBrake and MakeMKV should be the best ones you can use.
HandBrake is a free and open source video converter and Blu-ray ripper for Windows, macOS and Linux systems. It supports Blu-rays, DVDs and other video formats inputs and can output MP4 and MKV videos encoded by H.265, H.264, H.265 MPEG-4 and MPEG-2, VP8, VP9 and Theora. It even contains some profiles optimized for your devices like Android, Chromecast, Fire TV, Playstation and more.
However, the fatal weakness of this free Blu-ray ripper is that it cannot decrypt protected discs. And also it is not easy to use for novice users who do not have so much knowledge about Blu-ray ripping.
HandBrake comes with some advanced settings but doesn’t contain an editor for users to edit the videos. For large Blu-ray sources, it would take longer time than other Blu-ray rippers.
Then it is MakeMKV. MakeMKV is a free Blu-ray ripper in beta till now.
It is also available for Windows, Mac and Linux systems. Better than HandBrake, it can remove AACS and BD+ protections.
And its interface is clean and therefore it is simple to use. However, just as its name implies, it can only output MKV files.
And there are not so many customization tools to use. Its conversion speed still cannot compete with those paid Blu-ray rippers.
Want to find a full-functional and easy-to-use Blu-ray ripper? You need to go check those paid Blu-ray rippers. Of the top Blu-ray rippers, we strongly recommend DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper, which surpasses other rippers in many ways and is powerful enough to fulfill all of your needs.
In fact, there is a free version of DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper, which can convert protected Blu-rays to MKV Passthrough and MP4.Free easily and quickly. However, its conversion profiles are limited and it lacks some advanced options that full version DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper has, so here we will mainly talk the full version of DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper.
Compare Full-version DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper, HandBrake and MakeMKV
DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper
Support ISO/folder input
Output MKV format
Output MP4 format
Output AVI, FLV, WMV, etc.
Output audio format
Convert 3D Blu-rays to 3D videos
Preset profiles for mobile devices
Preset profiles for game consoles
Editing features (trimming, cutting, etc.)
Ease of use
DVDFab is capable of removing all kinds of Blu-ray protections, including AACS, BD+ and other protections like BD-Live, UOPs, CCI and more. Working with DVDFab Blu-ray Cinavia Removal, it also can remove Cinavia watermark.
For Blu-ray source, it supports not only Blu-ray discs but also Blu-ray folders/ISO files. It gives you more choices when you are going to output videos – you can choose to output video/audio formats like MP4, AVI, FLV, M2TS, MKV, WMV, 3D，MP3, AAC, FLAC, M4A etc., and you can also choose these preset profiles like iPhone X, Apple TV, iPad 4, HUAWEI Mate 20, Samsung Galaxy series, Xbox 360, PS 4 and more.
It also comes with many customization tools which allow you to choose the Blu-ray movie part you want to keep, set the video/audo parameters and edit the videos with the features like cropping, trimming, adding text and more.
Quality and speed are the ultimate pursues of DVDFab. If you choose Passthrough profile, you can get a lossless video. For other formats, it outputs video with minimal quality loss. With the latest hardware acceleration technology, it always can guarantee you a fast ripping speed.
It features an intuitive and clean interface. With all the advanced settings under the main interface, novice users can learn how to use it easily.
To convert Blu-rays, you can choose to convert them to common video/audio formats like MP4, AVI, MKV, MP3, AAC and more. You can choose any one of the formats that is compatible with your portable devices manufactured by Apple, Samsung, HUAWEI, Samsung or other companies. And also, by ripping Blu-rays to these formats you can easily upload converted video clips to some video sites like YouTube, Vimeo, Dailymotion and more.
• Insert the unprotected Blu-ray and open HandBrake.
• Click the “Source” button on the top left corner and choose your Blu-ray drive from the list.
• Head to the "Title" drop-down menu under the "Source" button, select preferred part of Blu-ray or the chapter you want.
• Choose output destination, output format, and output preset pprofile by heading to the bar on the right labeled "Preset".
• Go to the "Pictures", "Video Filters" ... part to customize your settings.
• Click the "Start" button next to the "Source" button to rip Blu-ray.
(1) insert your Blu-ray disc (whether it is a homemade or commercial one) and then open MakeMKV. It will take some time to recognize the disc.
(2) Click the animated Blu-ray drive button to let it read the contents of the Blu-ray disc, which will take a few minutes.
(3) Choose the video titles, audio tracks and subtitle tracks you want.
(4) Select the output folder. And then hit the “MakeMKV” button to start the ripping process.
It will take an hour or more to complete the conversion process, so you need to wait patiently
DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper gives you more format choices. Now let’s see how to use it.
(1) Download and install DVDFab 11 on your computer and then open it.
(2) Go to Ripper module and insert the Blu-ray disc to load it. If the source is a Blu-ray folder or ISO file, you can click the “+” on the main interface to load it.
(3) Navigate to the profile library on the top left corner of the main interface and choose Video > General/Filter to choose a format you want. If you want an audio format, you can click the “Audio” tab to choose an audio format.
(4) Choose titles, chapters, audio tracks and subtitles you want. You can also click the “wrench” icon to customize your settings and the “pencil” icon to edit the videos. See the pictures to check what customization tools DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper includes.
(5) Move to the bottom of the main interface to choose the output destination. You even can choose the Mobile Device directory, which can help you transfer your converted files to your mobile device after the conversion is complete. You can also choose the “YouTube” as the output directory to help you upload the converted video to YouTube directly.
(6) Click the “Start” button to start the process of ripping the Blu-ray to the video/audio format. Then you can leave all the other jobs to DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper. After enjoying a cup of coffee, you can come back to checked the converted Blu-ray movies.
Every device has its own screen size. Sometimes the converted videos wouldn’t perfect your mobile device screen well and there will be black bars on the top or bottom when you play the videos on your mobile device. Therefore you won’t get perfect viewing experience. If you know the specific information of your device screen you can set the resolution, aspect ratio or other parameters to make the converted Blu-ray movie fit your screen well. But if you don’t know that and think it’s bothersome to Google it, you can choose a Blu-ray ripper like DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper that provides many preset profiles for you to choose.
DVDFab supports devices produced by a lot of mobile device companies, including Amazon, Apple, BlackBerry, Google, HTC, HUAWEI, LG, Samsung and more. You can find any popular device preset you want here, including but not limited to iPhone X, iPad 4, iPhone 8, HUAWEI Mate 20, HUAWEI Mate 20 Pro, Samsung Galaxy S10/S10+, etc. Also, the feature of transferring converted Blu-ray movies to mobile device is also a plus.
It’s easy to rip Blu-rays to these devices. The steps are almost same with the steps we talked in the previous part, and the differences are that you need to choose the Device tab to find the device you want and you do not need to customize your settings on the “Advanced Settings” panel. Once you choose a device, DVDFab will automatically make the settings match your device!
Some game consoles like PS4 and Xbox One can be used to play Blu-ray movie discs directly. You can click how to play Blu-rays on Xbox One to learn the detailed steps. But sometimes they may not work well like a professional Blu-ray movie player. If this happens you can consider ripping your Blu-ray collections to Xbox One, PS3 and PS4 supported format and play the Blu-ray movie on the game consoles through a USB stick. For Xbox 360 users who are not allowed to play Blu-rays, ripping Blu-rays also should be your best choice.
Of course, if you want to get a wonderful viewing experience, you need to convert the Blu-rays according to the specifications of Xbox one or other game consoles. DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper have profiles optimized for Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3 and PS4, which allows you to rip Blu-rays to videos that can perfectly fit the game consoles. To choose the game console profiles, you need to choose Device > Micrsoft/Sony.
3D Blu-ray is the type of Blu-rays we cannot miss out. It brings the cinema experience to our living room and provides great effects that make us feel that we are actually in the movie. Some people are unwilling to rip Blu-rays because they worry about that the 3D Blu-ray quality is downgraded and the 3D effects are eliminated after being ripped. However, there are mature products like DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper that can rip 3D Blu-rays to lossless 3D videos (if you choose the 3D Passthrough profile) that can be played on 3D TV or other 3D devices.
Moreover, it is also able to convert and rip 3D/2D Blu-rays to high-quality 3D MKV.H.265, 3D MP4.H.265 3D MP4.4K, 3D MKV.4K, 3D AVI, 3D MP4, and more, with the 3D formats as Anaglyph, Split Screen, two separate files and two video streams in one file. So DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper is a powerful 3D Blu-ray ripper that you can use to rip 3D Blu-rays to Google Cardboard or rip any Blu-rays to SBS 3D videos.
The process of ripping Blu-rays to 3D videos is nearly same with that of converting Blu-ray to other formats. Just you need to check the 3D option in Filter to find the 3D output format you want.
4K Ultra HD Blu-ray is the next-gen Blu-ray discs that support the high resolution of 3840 x 2160 and object-based immersive soundtracks. To rip 4K Ultra HD Blu-rays, more advanced ripping software and higher hardware configurations are required. HandBrake and DVDFab Blu-ray Ripper we talked in the above don’t support 4K Ultra HD Blu-rays, but MakeMKV can rip UHD Blu-rays with certain AACS 2.0 keys. However, if you want to rip 4K Ultra HD Blu-rays easily and quickly, we recommend you to try this professional UHD ripper software – DVDFab UHD Ripper. To downgrade your 4K UHD drive to back up UHD Blu-rays, please check this UHD drive downgrade tool.
Now all the things about ripping Blu-rays are presented in the article, and you must have known how to choose a Blu-ray ripper and how to use the right Blu-ray ripper to get the video format you want. You can either choose one of the Blu-ray rippers we recommend to use or evaluate some of the rippers in the market according to our advice to make a decision. Just act now to rip and back up your loved Blu-rays!
The world's No. 1 Blu-ray ripper software that can quickly rip and convert a Blu-ray to any mainstream audio & video formats for playback on PCs, portable and mobile devices.
DVDFab Blu-ray Copy is the first full-featured Blu-ray copier/burner/cloner to copy a Blu-ray, 3D included, to any Blu-ray/DVD disc or to your hard drive with just one or a few clicks.
If the Blu-rays are Cinavia protected, this Blu-ray copy software, wi
DVDFab Blu-ray Creator is a powerful and professional Blu-ray creator and burner software that can burn all sorts of videos including HD camcorder videos, iPhone MOV videos, common SD videos, etc., in different formats into BD or AVCHD DVD for playback, o
DVDFab Blu-ray to DVD Converter definitely is the first Blu-ray to DVD converter software in the world that can convert a Blu-ray to DVD-Video disc for playback on home DVD player, without compromising too much on the pristine audiovisual quality but with
Are you a frequent visitor to Netflix and are there terrific Blu-ray movies you like? If you want to watch your favorite Blu-ray movies or DVDs offline, how about copying them on Windows or Mac or ripping Blu-rays to your preferred video/audio formats.
This article shows you how to play Blu-rays on PS4 and how to rip Blu-rays to PS4 compatible video formats for free playback on PS4.
Here we make a list of top 5 best Hi-Fi music players and show you how to convert music Blu-rays to lossless Hi-Fi audio files that can be played on your Hi-Fi music players.